Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Lifeguard

While I was sunning myself on the beach, I deftly watched the lifeguard on duty.

What an important job, I thought. As the title suggests, lifeguards literally guard our lives while we swim and frolic on the beach.

I decided to study the lifeguard and see how I could apply some of his skills to my pet therapy work.

Just the presence of the lifeguard seemed to make people feel safe and at ease.

Since I am a small dog, maybe I’ll have to make sure to bounce around a bit more (if that is even possible – many of you know I am a bouncy dog to begin with) at my pet therapy visits to make sure all the patients know I am there if they need me to help with their healing.

And fashion is crucial too. All the guards wore red with a safety symbol on their shirts.

I have to remember to proudly wear my pet therapy ID badge and uniform so that patients know I am official and have taken the proper courses to prepare myself for the job.

Most of all. I took notice of the lifeguard’s smile.

People were walking up to him asking questions and just saying hello.

Like the lifeguard, being approachable is a central part of my job too.

I have to remember that even when I am tired, other people are relying on my bark and grin to make them feel better.

No comments: