Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Life Lession 101

On Monday, my friend turned 101. Yes, you read that correctly one hundred and one years old! To catch up with her I only have 99 years to go!

For Harriett’s birthday I gave her a picture of the two of us on one of my visits. No matter how old, receiving a birthday present makes everyone smile ear to ear.

Last year there was a huge party to celebrate Harriett’s 100th birthday. Harriett eagerly showed me her photo album of the event and each picture came with a splendid story. It was inspiring to watch her look back over her life with zeal and satisfaction.

At the party, one of Harriett’s friends gave her flowers. After the flowers bloomed, the grounds crew planted them outside Harriett’s window.

Often I will catch Harriett gazing outside her window at that plant. It is as if the plant is somehow an extension of her honest and devoted nature.

Even at 101 years old, Harriett is quick as a whip and I am looking forward to celebrating her 102nd birthday and seeing how much her plant has grown by then.

No comments: