Sunday, June 22, 2008

In My Dreams

When I went to visit Sister Edith Alice on one of my regular pet therapy visits, she wasn’t there.

I was confused and began to sniff around hurriedly searching for her scent.

Where could she be?

One of the staff members came over and told me that Sister Edith Alice had passed last week.

My heart sunk to the floor and tears uncontrollably burst from my eyes. The kind of tears that leave little burn tracks around your eyes because the pain hurts so much.

I wanted to stop crying but my heart just wouldn’t agree.

One of the residents came over to console me. After some hugs and rubs on my back, we started to share our favorite memories of Sister Edith Alice.

The spirit of Sister Edith Alice will forever live in my heart and although I won’t see her on my routine pet therapy rounds, I promise to continue to visit her in my dreams.

No comments: