Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Keep on Paddling

Some might say life is a journey.

This weekend my journey began in a kayak.

As I prepared for my trip I tried to think of all the things I might need: an energy drink, a life preserver, a paddle, sunscreen and my GPS watch.

That morning the sea appeared so peaceful and tranquil.

About half way into my journey, out of nowhere, the water started to get rough and my kayak was spinning out of control.

Waves crashed all around me without warning.

As I gripped my paddle with my paws and calculated the quickest route home with my GPS watch, I closed my eyes and hoped someone would save me.

Although I was vigorously paddling, the current kept pulling me farther and farther from my destination.

I was ready to give up, but I realized that if I stopped and didn’t fight back I’d never return home.

I took a swig of my energy drink and determinedly fixed my eyes in the direction of home.

Even though I couldn’t see anything in the thick fog, I had faith that if I kept paddling eventually I would get there.

Little by little my home came into focus.

As I approached the inlet in front of my house, the storm seemed to subside and a beautiful rainbow appeared.

Again, the sea was tranquil and I was thankful to be home.

No comments: