Monday, September 15, 2008

A Surprise Ending

On Thursday I went on one of my regular visits to a retirement community.

Predictably one of my favorite residents, Estelle, told me a story of when she lived down in Georgia.

If nothing else Estelle is consistent as she tells the story exactly the same each and every time.

Habitually, the story centers on a friend who tried to give Estelle a dog, but due to uncontrollable circumstances Estelle was not able to accept the dog.

As Estelle tells the story, you can hear the cavernous regret in her voice.

At the point in the story when Estelle acknowledges that she was not able to accept the dog, she takes a long deep sigh and strokes my back.

For whatever reason this time, however, the story took a different turn.

According to Estelle, an elderly woman who was lonely was able to take in the dog. As Estelle narrated her new tale she lit up inside.

I couldn’t help but think that Estelle was talking about herself. Maybe in her heart she has always had a place for that dog and in some way I fulfill that need for her.

I am glad that our time together has brought a happy ending to Estelle’s story. I will be sure to visit her every week to make sure that ending stays “happily ever after.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Bella!!
We love you.qxkbxq