Tuesday, September 9, 2008

LIVEDOG

Cancer.

You see the word or hear the word cancer and suddenly it feels as if the world around you comes to a screeching halt.

But not for a group of people I came across the other weekend.

My family and I participated in the Lance Armstrong Livestrong Challenge bike ride to benefit cancer research and support programs, but most of all to provide hope to all those battling cancer.

The turnout for the day was amazing! Over 5,000 people came together as if they were an army to stand up and fight first-hand against cancer.

There was a lot of hugging, smiling and crying going on throughout the day.

Although you couldn’t see it, there was a remarkable connection or spirit floating in the air that brought us all together.

By the end of the day I had made many new friends, some who affectionately named me the “LIVEDOG.”

If nothing else, I promise to hold onto the hope and inspiration from the day and share it with my patients whom I visit during my pet therapy rounds.

For those of you who continue to battle cancer, keep up the good work and know if you need a furry friend to stand by you, I am here to walk by your side.

No comments: