Friday, September 19, 2008

The Little Engine

Remember the story of the little engine that could?

Boy that was one tough little train!

At agility class the other night, I played out my own version of this story.

During one of the exercise sessions, we had to practice jumps in pairs with another dog.

The dog I was paired with, Rex, was a little shorter so our jump was set at 8 inches (I’ll have to jump 10 to 12 inches in competition).

While it was Rex’s turn, I watched the dogs next to us impressively jump over 20 inches.

Suddenly the big dogs left their 20 inch jump for a potty break.

I though to myself I bet I can get over that jump and certainly no one would expect it.

So I closed my eyes, mustered up all the strength I could find and flung myself over the 20 inch jump.

Just like the little train I kept thinking I think I can I think I can.

And apparently I could! To my own amazement I cleared the jump!

The instructor stopped the class next to us and shouted, “That is one awesome little dog.”

While I was flattered to be called awesome, the best feeling was accomplishing something that at first appear to be way out of my reach.

I'll just have to remember I think I can I know I can when times get rough.

No comments: