Monday, March 23, 2009

Tug O' Ears

You just never know when you’ll be needed.

On Sunday I attended a bicycle race.

No, no I wasn’t one of the racers. Cycling is a sport I have yet to try. But my dad races bikes and he is super fast!

While I was waiting for the race to begin, a little girl named Shelby ran over to me to say hello.

Shelby was an adorable little girl who was mentally challenged.

At first Shelby was shy, but in no time she flung open her arms and hugged me.

Unexpectedly she grabbed my ears with her hands and pulled my ears straight out to the side – I looked like the flying nun!

Shelby looked deep into my eyes and told me she loved me.

I didn’t move so she could continue to hug me.

Shelby’s mom kept calling her, but she wouldn’t let go of me.

The more her mom called, the tighter she hugged me.

I wasn’t sure what Shelby was holding on to, but while we were together she seemed to be at peace.

I told Shelby not to worry, I’d be at the race again next week and would eagerly await another hug.

Satisfied, Shelby smiled and waved good-bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bella, you deserve a treat for that! GOOD Bella!