Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Let Love Bloom

Every other week for a year I visited Rose. Never once did she speak or show interest in my visits.

I was told to keep trying. Rose’s caretakers felt it was important for Rose to continue to interact with dogs. When Rose was younger, she always had her loving companion, Sophie, a little black poodle, at her side.

It was evident that Rose cared deeply for Sophie as there were pictures of them together all over Rose’s room.

So today I tried again.

As usual, I sat on Rose’s lap and was prepared to just hang out for a few minutes and dream about dog treats.

Then something happened.

Rose mumbled, “I love you.”

All this time I thought I was invisible to Rose. I am not sure if it was the feeling of spring in the air or the distant memory of Sophie, but today Rose spoke the most lovely words.

If nothing else, I have learned to be patient and let love bloom on its own time.

No comments: