Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back to Work

Today is January 2nd which means vacation is over and it is time to get back to work! They say you are lucky if you find a job in life that you love – well then I am one lucky dog (literally)! Every once in a while something happens that reminds me why it is so important to share myself with others.

When I entered the job site today (a retirement community home), I had some of my fan club devotees waiting for my visit. Of course I was thrilled to see them too, so I barked with delight. Around the corner, some residents and staff members recognized my bark and exclaimed with eagerness, “Bella is here!” One of the residents, Anna, had trouble moving and it took a while for her hand to reach my fluffy fur (Mom always brushes me out before work so I am extra soft). When Anna finally made contact with my back, I didn’t move so that it would be easier for her to pet me. After embracing me, she sat up to smile and took a long deep peaceful breath. Anna closed her eyes and spoke warmly about a dog from her past. Then, she bent over, pet me a second time, sat back up, smiled and told me the same story. This scenario repeated several times. I was like a little button that activated a fond memory inside of her. It was rewarding to watch her contentment as she spoke of the love of a dog. Some might grow tired of hearing the same story over and over, but for me it was affirmation that I was doing my job – helping someone to access those special memories that we bury deep within our hearts. Love is always in our hearts – sometimes we just need a little assistance finding it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bella, and your mom, you are the best. I love seeing you (even though my dog gets jealous when I come home from work and he smells you)and you do so much for so many, not even just the patients! Best to you and yours for the New Year!