Friday, January 25, 2008

Working Overtime

This week I was called in for a special case, or should I say a special friend. Usually I work two days a week, but there was a situation that required my attention and this week I put in three days!

For this visit, my Dad came too. On the ride to the hospital, my Dad asked my Mom “How do you know Bella likes doing the pet therapy?” My Mom answered, “You’ll see.” When we arrived at the hospital, I bounced out of the car and stood at attention facing the entrance door. As we started walking I began to trot like a horse - I was at work now and I meant business.

It took longer than expected to make it to our friend’s room because so many people, both friends and strangers, wanted me to stop for a hug and a hello. As my Dad watched, he could see the faces of the people I was interacting with soften and the worries of their day melt away. My work includes patients, staff and visitors. I am not sure which is harder sometimes, being the sick person or being the one who has to watch your loved one suffer. That is why I am glad to help people escape the pain or troubles that hold them down. Even if the escape is just for a moment, I am proud to be a part of it.

On the way home, my Dad turned to my Mom and said, “I see why Bella loves her job.” Now off to bed - I have had a very busy work week and I need my beauty sleep!

No comments: