Thursday, February 21, 2008

On the Radio

Yesterday, while I was driving in the car, I heard a song on the radio that made me recall the first time I met Alice.

It was a cool, crisp spring afternoon and I was visiting this particular senior center for the first time. As soon as I entered and as soon as Alice laid eyes on me she cried, “the dog is here, the dog is here.”

Alice clapped her hands, waved her arms and cheered like I just finished first in a marathon. It was evident that she had very much been looking forward to my visit.

Although I was unfamiliar with the site, Alice’s warm energy made me feel so welcome that I was immediately drawn to her. Before I could get out a kiss or a bark, Alice scooped me up with both her hands and squeezed me so tightly that I could feel her heart racing against mine.

At times I am sure it was difficult to distinguish our heartbeats as Alice’s hold was steadfast.

Subsequently, Alice took a deep breath and buried her nose in my fur. Her breath was so passionate that my fur went right up her nose like a feather caught in a wind tunnel. Over and over Alice mumbled, “thank you, thank you, thank you.”

It wasn’t until I heard the song on the radio by Rod Stewart, “Lost in You,” that I understood what Alice was doing.

Although some might say that during our visits Alice becomes lost in our embrace, I think that is the time when she feels found.

No comments: